R4 Revolution for DS Review
We've recently stumbled upon this slick doo-hicky called the R4 Revolution for Nintendo DS/Lite. The R4DS is basically a blank cartridge for the Nintendo DS or Nintendo DS Lite. The R4 uses any microSD flash memory card (up to 4GB, does not support microSDHC) for storage. This means you can put music, videos and ROMs onto the microSD, plug it into the R4 and play them on your Nintendo DS! There are NES, SNES, TurboGrafx16, Genesis (and many more) emulators available for the Nintendo DS. You could possibly walk around with all of your favorite console games from the past 2 decades on your Nintendo DS!
Here's where you can get your hands on a R4 Revolution for Nintendo DS!
|Buy a R4 in the United States||Buy a R4 in the United Kingdom|
R4 Revolutions features:
- 2nd generation storage device (no booting tool required)
- Flush fitting slot 1 card
- Uses MicroSD card, FAT16 or 32
- Supports any MicroSD card speed with no lag in game
- Supports Clean ROM, drag and drop. Works on any OS
- Built in NoPass
- Automatically detect save type
- Save directly to MicroSD card, not to onboard chip
- Supports Moonshell and other homebrew. Open I/O interface
- User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation
- Supports rumble pak and memory pak
- Supports the WiFi game, DS Rumble Pak, DS Browser
- Supports changes of the background of Operation Interface
- Support Skin DIY by setting background and font colors on Main Menu and Game Menu manually and automatically
- Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment ( DS Lite only )
- Supports the Soft Reset.
- Supports Action Replay cheat
- moonshell 1.6 support Software Reset function( Press START key back to the R4 menu)
- DLDI auto-patching
- Full download play support
THE R4 DOES NOT HAVE SDHC Support. Hopefully it will with the newer firmware. 4gb microSD/TF cards do work, just not SDHC ones.
Here's a video of the R4 Revolution in action:
So you've read the features, watched the video and decided to order one. Here are a few freely distributed ROMs to test your new R4 Revolution:
- NES emulator for the Nintendo DS
- Hexen ported over to the Nintendo DS
- A Text viewer
- MarcaDS v4.0 (M.A.M.E. for Nintendo DS)
- Super Nintendo Emulator (NEmulDS 0.3 with DLDI)
- For a complete list of emulators for the nintendo DS, visit Zophar here
Link to official R4DS site: http://www.r4ds.com/index-en.htm
If you're looking for R4 .sav files, here's a site that will convert any save to a .SAV file for you: http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php
If you're looking for some Nintendo DS ROMs, we don't have any! BUT there are plenty of people that store their collections online. Copy and Paste the following search string into a Google search and you'll find all sorts of NDS roms!
Have fun! :)